Thursday, September 24, 2009

What sort of cookie?

There are some days at work where I just have to cry. I'm pretty lucky - I get to come to a job I love everyday and work with some amazing men & women. Still, there are some cases that just get to you and leave you wondering... When can I open that bakery?
Cause everyone's happy at a bakery.

Yesterday was one of those days. Without getting all NASW Code of Ethic screwy, I'm working with someone who could easily be me. Someone who took a risk, it didn't work, and now they're calling a social worker (pride in hand) and asking for help.
On the upside, I think I was able to offer some assistance. Only time will tell.

After a day like that, I usually don't sleep well. Too much running through my head and not enough answers. Last night, I had a number of thoughts. It all made sense in the 2am haze with a background of Jay snoring, Juliette scratching the door, and the occasional car passing by - but I may have trouble articulating it now.

All I kept thinking - if I could have given this person any dessert and his problems would be solved... what would that dessert be? Honest to goodness, I pondered a number of confectionery delights and the potential powers they held.
Think about it - have you ever had a JUST BAKED chocolate chip cookie - all gooey, warm, and smelling like Mom's kitchen on a snowy day when you're home because school was canceled? Is there a better feeling than that? (Okay, there are, but I'm trying to keep this blog "family friendly")
Or what about a scorching hot August night, when it's too hot to move and someone hands you some fresh strawberry ice cream made THAT DAY with handpicked strawberries (Woot! Woot! to Red's Ice Cream in South Portland)? It's a feeling of total satisfaction and happyglee.

I lay awake last night wondering if it would be possible to provide a dessert like that to a person in need and have them experience that amazing feeling for as long as they needed. It's naive and silly, but at 2am, I'm going to indulge my naive side because the only other option is to wake up, turn on the light, and continue to read Twilight (the fact of which I am so, so ashamed).

So, I throw this question into the interwebisphere....
Think about a time you were at your lowest. If a dessert had the power to heal your pain, what would that dessert have been?

3 comments:

  1. this past Christmas, when bogged down at work with multiple weekends and weeknights of overtime, my co-worker, Rebecca brought in these cookies. having no time to run out and get dinner, because we were being sucked in by the description nightmare that was "Bride Wars," i ate three of these delicious cookies... peanut butter-type cookies with a chocolate kiss on the top. and it was marvelous. and suddenly, i was full. and i loved my job. and i could see the silver lining of overtime pay. it was a magical moment, and those cookies were delicious. i will look into the recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do! Chocolate + Peanut Butter = Confection Glory!!
    And I'm sorry about "Bride Wars"... while watching it, I tried to envision the two leading ladies as bad drag queens, and the whole film was a spoof on straight girl wedding shenaniganz... it didn't really help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try offering a cookie to each client at work now and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete