Saturday, September 19, 2009

A bit more direction...

Happy 5770!
It's the New Year!

I've just returned from a fabulous wedding (Yippy for Jenn & Casey) and I find myself with a couple of hours on my own before the return of Jay. That lucky SOB had the fortune of spending a GORGEOUS day inside, studying, and becoming WAY smarter than I will ever be. And I'm okay with this, because it gives me a chance to stare at this blog and figure out what comes next.

And I think I have an idea...

The first thought that crossed my mind as I came home and learned my hubby-to-be wouldn't be home for a bit was, "Hey, I should make him some kugel! It's Rosh Hashanah and Jay loves kugel." (For those of you non-tribe members, kugel is like a Jewish casserole - my version includes sour cream, cottage cheese, apples, golden raisins, and cinnamon... it's DELICOUS!).

Back to my story...
Once I'd decided kugel was the way to go, I became very calm and happy. And the proverbial light went off. I work in a setting where I spend my day solving problems, hearing terribly sad stories, and stepping into unknown situations that usually involve needing some hand cleanser afterwards. The idea of coming home and baking, cooking, whipping up frosting, slicing up fresh fruit... it's all so appealing because I know the amazing aromas it will produce, I know how each bite will help ring in the New Year, I know Jay is going to enjoy it. I'm not going to dread what my apartment smells like, or argue with Jay over ethical dilemmas regarding my treatment of egg noodles (though, I dare him to try), and it's a relatively simple project (even though peeling apples is on my Top 100 lists of Things That Make Me Want to Punch Kittens).
I suspect, I'm not the only one out there who feels this way - and maybe that's why my Facebook Status about opening a dessert shop was so appealing. Not the business end of it; the simple enjoyment end.

And so, friends and colleagues, I have a global assignment for all of you.......
I WANT YOUR RECIPES!

Don't worry, I'm not going all Julie/Julia on you and plan on making a billion recipes in 10 days. I want to know what baked goods (or regular meals) bring you joy. Bring you to that happy place.

I want to know:
-Recipes - All sorts!
-Memories of recipes from family, friends, clients, co-workers, teachers - you name it... why did Grandma Mary's pumpkin pie make you happy?
-Favorite stories about food
-What desserts you think could help bring world peace


Yes, this is extremely cheesy and silly. You may begin the mockery and I will take it in stride. But I'm 100% serious. Why a dessert shop?

Okay, enough time on this - I've got apples to peel!

3 comments:

  1. This is pretty awesome and so far I'm intrigued. If you get Jay to put up the money to invest in starting it I bet you could get Rachel to help run it. And if you want to go in on some retail space we could do a bookstore/bakery combo shop. Just a thought. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Jaffe, i think this is wonderful. i will start compiling dessert recipes that cross my mind, but specifically, there are two kinds of cookies that i love dearly, though neither are particularly original, per se.
    on is chocolate chip cookies made by a woman we knew in Truro, who's real name was Betsy but whose nickname was, appropriately, "Cookie." and so the recipe for Cookie's cookies called for a ton of butter, and then an action which causes most people to think there's something wrong or ridiculous happening, but which contributes to the amazingness of these cookies. you take them out while they're baking, about every 7 minutes, and smack the pan on a counter top. the cookies get flattened. when they're done, they are paper thin, slightly chewy, and so buttery delicious. i always think of summers in the Cape and bumming around with my friends, when we were footloose and fancy-free.
    the other cookies are pretty simple butter cookies that my grandmother used to make over Christmas. can you see the theme here? despite your desire to not go Julie & Julia on us, i will say that butter does seem to make the world go 'round. in any case, butter cookies, with simple sugar sprinkles on top. delicious. whenever i brought these to college or had some sent from AmeriCorps, everyone else would eat them, and they are one of the few things that i always want to horde for myself. which just goes to show. i will attempt to procure these recipes for you, as i also think about other desserts that i love.
    unfortunately, my family is pretty standard about dessert cooking, so we never had anything that you haven't eaten before.

    will you be taking pictures and posting them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies you whack around? I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete